Laos is a large and potential market. Each year, this market attracts many foreign investors from different countries around the world. Therefore, trademark registration enterprises in Laos are a decent and long-term strategic decision. Trademark registration in Laos is the legal basis for certifying the ownership of an enterprise’s trademark, on the basis of being granted a trademark registration certificate by the National Office of Intellectual Property.
Enterprises should file a trademark registration in Laos to ensure the interests and legal ownership of the business before the law. At the same time, trademark protection will bring many benefits to businesses and improve their competitive position in the market.
Trademark registration procedures in Laos
In order for businesses to effectively register for protection trademark in Laos, enterprises need to prepare the following documents:
- Trademark registration declaration in Laos;
- Trademark sample;
- List of goods and services with exclusive trademarks in Laos;
- Claim of priority (if any) and its supporting documents;
- Notarized authorization letter.
The important points in the trademark registration dossier
Trademark registration declaration in Laos
Full name and address of the applicant for trademark registration accompanied by his or her nationality (The applicant is the owner of the trademark)
Consisting of 15 samples, the sample must have the correct dimensions, the colors and shapes must be accurate to the registered mark.
Notarized authorization letter
Enterprises register a trademark in Laos, if through a representative, are required to have an authorization letter. The authorization must contain the following contents:
- First and last name, address of the authorizing party and the authorized party (or the authorized surrogate or sub-mandated party);
- Scope of authorization, work volume authorized in the process of trademark registration;
- Authorization time;
- Date of the authorization letter;
- Signature of the legal representative of the authorizing party.
- List of goods must be classified according to the international goods classification table.
The above notes will help businesses to understand the documents related to trademark registration in Laos, helping businesses to quickly and efficiently file trademark applications.
Process of trademark registration application in Laos
Trademark owner submits a trademark application in Laos but is still unsure of the application process in Laos. So how is trademark registration in Laos handled? This is a question that many people are interested in when filing a trademark registration.
The application process of Laos is done through 3 steps:
- Step 1: Appraisal of the formality.
Evaluating the validity of the application according to requirements on the formality, on the subject of exclusion, on the right to file … to make a conclusion that the application is valid or invalid.
Formal examination period is 1 month from the filing date.
- Step 2: Content evaluation
A valid trademark registration application shall be substantially examined to assess the possibility of granting a trademark registration certificate to the object stated in the application according to the protection conditions.
The time limit for substantive examination of a trademark application is 6 months from the date of publication of the application.
- Step 3: Licensing a trademark protective certificate
The time limit for licensing a trademark protective certificate is 2 months.
You can find a list of Laos IP firms here.